by Emilie Potier-Jackson
I love cooking with ramen noodles, specially in the winter time. There is so many ways you can cook them. This makes endless and nutritious endless dish. In this recipe, I'll give you the basic ingredients that I always use in my recipe and then variations of my favorite veggies.
You will need for sure vegetable broth. In addition to that I always add either a miso juice base that I prepare separatly or a bone broth. This add flavor but also nutrition value to your soup.
Serving: 4 or 2 for two dinners :) - Great the next day as well
List of ingredients:
10 Shitake mushrooms medium size
4 Bok Choy or Chinese Cabbage (1 piece)
3 Green onions
3 Tbsp of Toasted Sesame oil or coconut oil
1 Tsp of Fish Oil
1 Tbsp of Tamari
1 Firm Tofu (smoked, with herbs or spicy) - Optional
4 bundle of ramen noodles ( 120 gr aprox or less)
1 Fresh Ginger - Optional
1 Tbsp of hoisin sauce
List of utensils:
1 big pot
1 medium size
4 or 2 bowls for serving
I like to work in five stages when I make a ramen noodle soup.
Step 1: Ingredients chopping phase
Chopp the carrots in small circular slice
Chopp the bok choy in 1 inch slices
Chopp the green onions
Chop mushroom in 1/2 inch slices
Step 2: Preparing the broth
1. In a big pot sate for 1 or 2 minutes the white part of the green onions (we will use the green part in the final steps) with the carrots, mushrooms in 1 tbsp of toasted sesame oil on medium/high heat.
2. Add the bok choy and add any other green veggie you'd like to add to the mix like chinese brocoli and mature spinach (they have more taste and nutrients than the baby ones in my humble opinion :-).
3. Add broth and let simmer to low/medium heat for about 15 to 20 min or until tender. If you prefer your veggies "aldente" then reduce the time to 10 min and taste if it is of your liking.
Step 3: Preparing Crispy Tofu and glazing
1. Cut you loaf of tofu in 1/2 inch slices and then cut in cubes
2. In a cast iron pan, add 1 tbsp of toast sesame oil or coconut oil and put on medium/high heat
3. When the oil is hot - gently/carefully (don't burn yourself) dispose all the cubes of tofu in the pan
4. Let cook each sides of the tofu until crispy (it take at least 5/10 min on each side). This part require all you attention you cannot browse on your phone at the same time. :) Unless you like burnt tofu.
5. Turn of the pan and let seat 10 min.
6. Add the table spoon hoisin sauce and toss the tofu.
Step 4: Preparing the Ramen Noodles
This step is important, because you don't want to overcook the ramens.
1. In a medium pan/saucer add the noodles and cover them with water
2. Turn of the heat to high, let the water boil and wait 3/4 minutes, stir once in a while until the ramen are aldente.
3. Strain them and rinse them with cold water.
4. Add a tsp of sesame oil and a tsp of tamari so they are flavored and don't stick. Put apart.
Final Step: Prep your bowls
1. In a bowl add a spoon full of ramen noodle, then tofu and then add the veggies and the broth.
2. Garnish with a tsp of the green part of the onion and grate some ginger to taste.
3. I like to eat it with chopsticks and Chinese porcelein spoons.
Now you delicious and nutritious ramen noodle soup is ready. Bon Appétit!